The survey of more than 16,000 youths found that:
- Prescription drug abuse was most common among white students, at 23%
- Hispanics at 17%
- African-Americans at 12%.
- Prescription drug abuse was most common among seniors (26%) and least common among freshmen (15%).
- There was no difference in prescription drug abuse by sex -- 20% for both male and female students.
The survey asked a number of questions related to drug and alcohol use in its 2009 tally. Finding:
- 72% of high school students said they had used alcohol.
- 37% said they had used marijuana.
- 6.4% said they had used cocaine.
- 4.1% said they had used methamphetamine.
- 6.7% said they had used ecstasy.
- 2.5% had used heroin.
- 8% had used hallucinogenic drugs such as LSD or mescaline.