Wednesday, March 23, 2011
The Internet is home to a number of companies selling drugs that have managed to skirt the FDA, drugs that may seem safe and fun are unfortunately having the opposite effect taking peoples' lives left and right. In Minnesota nearly a dozen teenagers overdosed and one individual lost their life from taking a hallucinogen at a house party. The drug that was consumed was a version of a rave drug that had been previously banned, by changing just the slightest thing on a molecular level making the drug known as 2c-E not an illegal substance. With an ever increasing market for drugs like 2c-E, it is difficult for the FDA and local law officials to stay up to date with the new drugs being created.
On Friday, authorities arrested a 21-year-old man who was believed to have provided the drug to the teens and he was being held on suspicion of third-degree murder. The murder victim was Trevor Vance Robinson, 19, of Coon Rapids. Robinson was the only one of 11 people ranging in age from 16 to 21 who died when everyone fell ill late Wednesday. Andy Young, 18, a friend of Robinson's, said the two had consumed the 2c-E together, describing 2C-E as combining the effects of LSD and psychedelic mushrooms. "You couldn't really focus on anything. Your mind is racing," Young said of his experience on 2C-E. "You don't know what's going on at all."
Health officials as well as parents should be concerned about designer drugs like 2c-E. These drugs are rarely ever dosed the same way which makes the process of gauging how much one should take next to impossible. Club drugs are extremely dangerous and should be avoided no matter what; the costs outweigh the rewards by tenfold. If you know anyone actively taking drugs like 2c-E you should inform them of the dangers associated with such drugs.